President Russell M. Nelson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been leading the church for six years as of January 14, 2024. He is the leader of 17 million Latter-Day Saints worldwide. In celebration of his six year anniversary many church leaders reflected on things that President Nelson had done during this time including leading the church during a worldwide pandemic in 2020.
Some of the things that Church Leaders discussed when reflecting on his six years of leadership were:
- He governs by doctrine. One of which was was when he corrected the way we use the full name of the church No longer called “Mormons” but that we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. “He fearlessly corrected the way we have acquiesced in omitting the full, correct name of the Church” – President Dallin H. Oaks, First Counselor in the First Presidency
- He carries the Light of Christ with him. “I love our Prophet, President Nelson. I have the blessing of serving at his side. When he walks into a room, that room immediately feels brighter. He carries the Light of Christ with him.” — President Henry B. Eyring, Second Counselor in the First Presidency
- He is gentle and kind. “First of all, and most importantly, he is probably the most gentle and kind leader I have ever worked with, realizing that I have worked with among the most gentle and kind men and women on the earth. He truly personifies a Christlike love for and interest in those who try to follow his lead as he follows the Savior” – President Jeffrey R. Holland, Acting President, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
- Compassion. “One of the most remarkable attributes I observe in President Nelson’s leadership is his ability to lead people with compassion. His loving arms are always open, extended, outstretched and encircling to everyone he meets, and he focuses on the goodness in people rather than their shortcomings or weaknesses. He follows the Savior’s pattern as described in 3 Nephi 9:14 — ‘… mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto [me].’ President Nelson holds these leadership attributes because he lives close to the Savior and strives to reflect Him in his life.” — Elder Ulisses Soares, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Leads with Love of Jesus Christ. “President Nelson leads as the Savior leads — with love. “One of the greatest blessings and privileges of my life has been the opportunity to meet personally with President Nelson. On every occasion, he has looked right into my eyes, and his eyes have expressed love — love and warmth and meekness and genuine interest and confidence. I have felt the love that Jesus Christ has for me, and for my Relief Society sisters throughout the world, through His mouthpiece, our dear Prophet. President Nelson communicates the love of Jesus Christ to those he leads. I hope to emulate him in some small measure.” — President Camille N. Johnson, Relief Society General President
There were many more leaders that discussed the traits of President Nelson during his 6 years of serving as President of the Church. You can read the whole article here: Apostles and General Officers share observations of President Russell M. Nelson